Thursday, December 29, 2011

Zones... defined.



Moving back to Colorado and feeling I had a complete wash of an inexistent season, I decided to work with a coach and try this whole structured training thing.

If you're reading this and know me, you probably know that I'm terrible at structure. I am very easily distracted (SQUIRREL!) and in the two years of mountain biking I realize I kind of just have one speed... it's; GO! Any riding with heart rate/power, scheduled and consistent squat parties, and rest days... all very foreign to my, "let's just ride bikes" approach...
I'm not getting any younger, and want to see what a little structure can do. For the past month it's all been written out for me, all I have to do is log on to Training Peaks and follow directions. Easy; right? So far so good thanks to Josiah, a coach who knows me and understands my goals.

Friends have all warned me not to take riding too seriously as I'll burn out or lose the fun in it. So, the stubborn MN Lutheran in me is dedicated on keeping it fun. In the hours and hours I've been spending riding according to "zones"... I've had some time to think about how to keep each zone fun. Other than the obvious answer by keeping most your training outdoors....MUSIC! Playlists are key. Smiling helps too.
I've come up with a fool proof Zone/Genre guide to keeping bicycle practice fun.

Zone 1: This is the "am I even moving" zone. Classical music or a book on tape is a good approach here.... something that won't rev you up and keep you under control. Try Nora Jones or Bon Iver

Zone 2: This is the zone that apparently we have to stay in for the majority of the off season; harder than it sounds. I decided reggae is the best for Zone 2... a good relaxing beat that's a notch up from napping music. Obviously Bob Marley is a Zone 2 choice favorite.

From Zone three on, if you're at a lost you can always resort to Lady Gaga or Shakira... shake it beats.


Zone 3: In this zone I find the best is a plethora of tunes... just keep yourself interested in what you're doing. You're not soft pedaling, and your not dropping the hammer. Hit your pandora 'quick mix' to get a good variety. Exclude anything zone 1 in the mix.

Zone 4: Zone 4 is almost red zone, not quite your "I'm probably going to hit the wall if I stay here much longer"... so I say a good club mix; yes... techno-or anything you could stay out dancing to until 4am. You're not here long, mostly interval work... maybe recover with some Zone 2 in between Zone 4 bouts.

Zone 5: This zone is full on red zone, race pace! I'm not an angry music fan, but I think that the angrier the better in this zone. Something you can really visualize a good airkick to.

So... there you have my take on proper music genre by Zone training. Enjoy! Happy pedaling!

No comments:

Post a Comment