Thursday, October 27, 2011

Here it goes...


So, I'm back. Surprise!

Coming back to the happy valley has been more of a process than I thought it would be. Of course I'm happy to now be around family, friends, and the fresh mountain air. There just seems to be this looming feeling of, "What the hell just happened?!?" as a mere six months ago I thought I was moving away for my dream job. Bright eyed and with a bubble view of what the future would hold. I had sold everything that didn't fit in my little Jeep Liberty and made my way further west to a little gem called The Bay Area; a true leap of faith.

This leap proposed many new challenges that I wasn't accustomed to. The job details aside, I was finding myself adjusting to "city life". I consider myself pretty independent and adventurous, but it actually took me quite sometime to venture into the city to dip my toes in San Fran culture, art, variety, amazing food, etc. All of this was very foreign to a Minnesota born "farm girl" turn Colorado "mountain girl"... and now?!?! San Fran "city girl!?!?".... I found myself constantly at a state of stress trying to find my way around, seeking out genuine relationships, keeping and sharing a positive outlook at work, and maintaining some sort of fitness and fun balance on my bike. The fact of the matter is, I couldn't keep it all together.

Most assured me I had to give a transition like that at least a year; well I hit the halfway mark and just couldn't do it anymore. I had woken up far too many foggy mornings without the lustrous passion to ride. I wasn't happy; things needed to change.

As my days left in The Bay became fewer and fewer I started to see the positive effect I had. Funny how when you're so concerned about the things you're not doing, you lose sight of the positive shifts and affects you are creating in the "now". Good moment to remind yourself, "Do
not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." Buddha.

The fact of the matter is The Bay Area is an amazing place, filled with spectacular people, phenomenal riding, and opportunities that a mountain town unfortunately could never foster. The magnitude of adventure isn't quite the same as being in the center of multiple 14k peaks, but really nowhere is... so it's not worth the comparison.

I am grateful for the bonds that were created in the past six months, and happy to know those relationships and experiences will keep me motivated and moving forward. The women's cycling industry is something that's just beginning to grow and my passion to promote and foster other women's love for two wheels will never be lost... In some way, I'll always be involved.

So...sometimes things don't work out exactly the way we plan them... but we always have the choice to make changes... and when we leave a place, we can always go back.



KJ

No comments:

Post a Comment